Friday 31 December 2010

New Years Eve

What are your plans for this evening?

Will remarked during the week that we should really be going out to paint the town red tonight considering it will be our last NYE sans children. That all sounded like a good idea until I reminded him that I would be painting the town red...sober!

I guess, unbeknown to us at the time, last NYE was really our chance to shine! Can't even remember what we did to be honest. Sad, I know.

After abandoning plans of all night partying, we decided that a night in experimenting with our new Kitchen Aid pasta attachment was the perfect recipe (Christmas pressie from my lovely in-laws). Whilst I was getting my hair done last night in prep for date night, Will went and purchased supplies for our feast tonight (an assortment of mushrooms, ever so thinly sliced veal, pasta flour,eggs, delicious cream, truffles (of the mushroom variety) - YUMMO). Fingers crossed the pasta works out...

The thing for me is, I have never really been a big fan of NYE. My favourite day of the year (aside from my Birthday and perhaps Christmas Day) is new years day. The first day of the year. It is (and always has been) really, I mean fundamentally, important for me to spend new years day with a fresh head and a positive spirit. This is somewhat hard to do with a hangover as you can well imagine...

So no matter what I usually do on NYE (and I will admit there have been a few exceptions to this - probably around the ages of 18, 19, 20 - ...), I usually try not to drink too much so as to wake the next day feeling less than 100%.

So now you all want to know what we have planned for new years day. To be honest, nothing extraordinary. We are going to visit a friend's new bub in hospital (I guess this qualifies as extraordinary, especially considering he was delivered super early and did not have the easiest time in his mummy's tummy), then we are going to lunch at a (semi) (sense a trend here) new restaurant in town - 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo by Bombana (what are the chances he will be cooking on new years day - unlikely I say) (I guess this is also kind of extraordinary considering that I have wanted to try this restaurant for ages and now I finally get to go). Then we are having some friends over for dinner, which whilst not extraordinary (cause we tend to do this a lot), will make a lovely end to the first day of the year.

Usually we are back home in Oz for new years day and hence we spend the day outside in the glorious sunshine, at the beach, going for picnics, spending time with the family.. all that jazz. Oh, I do miss home this year:(

Wherever you are and whatever you are doing, make sure you enjoy a glass of bubbles for me:)

No comments: